Education Cabinet Secretary Prof. George Magoha on Tuesday announced a ban on the hiring of school buses for private events as a means of protecting learners from COVID-19.
Prof. Magoha spoke at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) where he released the Form One selection results for the 2020 KCPE candidates.
According to the CS, anybody seeking services of school buses must get authority from the Ministry of Education.
“For the avoidance of doubt, school buses are to carry children using COVID-19 protocols, action is to be taken against anybody using the buses for any other reason,” he said.
“We will not sit and allow people to misuse facilities of our children…We will give authorisation from Jogoo house, it does not matter if you are a government official.”
Education Principal Secretary Dr. Julius Jwan reiterated the sentiments adding that the ban on gatherings and political rallies in schools is also still in place.
“Schools still remain out of bounds for any activities that may put lives of children in danger. COVID-19 is still here, keep children safe,” he said.
“The same on school buses, taking people to funerals and not fumigating them subject teachers and children to the disease.”
Nyanza Regional Commissioner Magu Mutindika previously issued a directive banning the use of school buses in ferrying mourners to burials and weddings in the region.
RC Mutindika directed all the six county commissioners in charge of Kisumu, Siaya, Migori, Homa Bay, Nyamira and Kisii to implement the directive forthwith.
He said the decision was made to curb the surging numbers of new coronavirus infections in the region.
In a letter dated June 14, Mutindika also directed police to impound all school buses that contravene the directive.